Steven Lloyd Fletcher--Robert Wilbur Fletcher--Elmo Eugene Fletcher--Ira Camille Fletcher--Willard Thomas Fletcher--Esther Bathsheba Wright
Sketch of the life of Esther B. Fletcher
Written by herself, Salt Lake City, October 3,
1892
Esther
Bathsheba Wright, born Groton, Middlesex, Massachusetts, January 15, 1823.
Daughter
of Asa and Bathsheba Dadman Wright
Married
Francis Fletcher July 3, 1829, son of Thomas and Orpha F. Fletcher.
We
had seven children by this marriage: six sons and one daughter. The two youngest died young. My husband died December 26, 1854 in Salt
Lake City.
July
1857 was married to Royal Barney. Had
two children by this marriage: a son and daughter. I have five sons and two daughters
living. All married and there are forty
grandchildren living; eight died; ten great grandchildren. We received the gospel July 1842 in Westford,
Massachusetts. Joined the Lowell Branch
of the church. We gathered with the
saints while camping in Winter Quarters, Omaha, August 25, 1847. We stopped in Harris Grove and Kanesville
until the Spring of 1851 when we crossed the plains and arrived safe in Salt
Lake City, September 29, 1851. We received
our endowments in endowments in the House of the Lord August 4, 1852. Entered into the order of Celestial marriage
[plural marriage] August 16, 1852, Heber C. Kimball officiating. The lady’s name was Mary Ann Loring, niece of
Samuel Brannon. I commenced Relief
Society work in the year 1856, was a teacher in block seven of the Eighth
Ward. Sister Everett was president. I was appointed teacher on the same block at
the reorganization, 1866, second counselor January 6, 1881. The Relief Society was reorganized, and I was
set apart as president as our beloved president, Sister Leaver and counselor
Sister Neehun had passed away. I am
still holding that office at this date, 1892.
I
was president of the Primary association from its first organization March 19,
1879 until 1886. I was also teacher in
Sunday School from 1879 to 1890. I
resigned these two offices on account of poor health, being unable to fulfill
so many duties as they should be, and felt that the Primary should have live
active workers to make a success with the little ones. I feel it a great duty imposed upon the
presidents of these societies and that the society needed a competent person to
conduct it. It was a sacrifice for me to
give up the Primary for I dearly love to instruct children. In the spring of 1868 I commenced to instruct
a select school with good success and continued to teach until 1878. I also taught in the Eighth Ward school for
over one year. I have tried to do my
duty when called upon and have been blessed in so doing. I feel to bear my testimony to this
work. I have had many things made
manifest to me through the Spirit of God and have been healed by the
administration of his servants.
Soon
after I joined the church in 1842, I was afflicted with some disease of the
head, which I suffered much. I was at my
Father’s one day and he said I must get advice and be treated by some doctor
that understood the disease. I said,
“Father, I believe I have faith to be healed if there be any Elders here”.
He
said, “You can have the horse and buggy and your brother can drive for you, and
if you are healed, I shall think it a miracle”.
It
was eight miles to the branch we belonged – a Sabbath Day’s journey.
Sunday
came and the rain was pouring. My
brother came to see what I would do. I
said, “Have you the team?”
He
said, “No, Father says it is too stormy for you to go as poorly as you are.”
“I
said, “This [is] the power of the evil one.
I must go. Tell Father I will
wrap up warm and will take no harm.”
My brother said, “If I was determined to go,
he would take me.”
[S]o
he came and we started. In a short time
it cleared and the sun shone brightly as we neared the Hall where we held our
meetings. I found Brother Nickerson and
Brother Jesse W. Crosby on the stand. Brother
Crosby came by to see me and said, “Are you sick?”
I
told him I had come to be administered to and he said when they were done
speaking, they would attend to it. They
called on the saints there to unite their faith and prayers with them, and was
instantly healed and went from the house rejoicing and have never been
afflicted with any disease of the kind since, for which I often thank my
Heavenly Father. In the morning, I went
to let my Father know that I was healed.
He came and looked at my head and said, “What is this on your
hair?”
I
said, “ It is oil, you know the elders anoint with oil and lay on hands for the
healing of the sick”.
He
said it was the oil they used that healed.
Re-typed
by Jean Fletcher 24 March 2009.
Punctuation corrected.
Information from the family
record of Wendell J Mellor, son of Effie Mellor, who is daughter of Sadie Howe,
who is daughter of Royal Barney and Esther Bathsheba Wright
Hymn sung at the wedding of Francis
Fletcher and Esther B. Wright
3 July 1839
Since Jesus freely did appear to
grace a marriage feast
We will invite his presence here to
be a wedding guest.
Upon this bridal pair look down, who now
have plighted hands
Their union with thy favor crown and
bless the nuptial bonds
So let this married couple live and
die in friendship joined.
Francis Fletcher, baptized into the church in 1842
and united with the Lowell Branch of the church at Westford, Massachusetts;
married Esther Bathsheba Wright 3 July1839.
The two oldest sons, Edwin Francis and Charles Eugene, were blessed by
Aaron York and Joseph Stratton in 1843.
Daughter Esther Jane, was blessed by Leonard Hardy in 1845, joined
L.D.S. Church , 1842. They emigrated to
the west, leaving 8 April 1847 and arriving in Salt Lake City 4 August
1851. They stopped at Boston and formed
their company. Elder Forham was
president of the company. They arrived
in St. Louis 1 May 1847 and remained there until August 8.
They built a house at Winter Quarters. Their third son was, Kendall Asa, was born
here [23 March 1848]. From May until
September 1847, they stopped at Harris Grove, then removed to Kanesville, Iowa,
where fourth son, Willard Thomas, was born [12 December 1849]. Left 22 June 1851.
Francis Fletcher and Esther Bathsheba Wright were
re-baptized after reaching Utah on 17 July 1852 and were endowed 4 August 1853.
[Esther’s personal history says they were endowed 4 August 1852.] They were present at the laying of the
cornerstone of the Salt Lake Temple.
Francis Fletcher and Solomon Angel opened the first granite ledge of
which the Temple is built in Cottonwood Canyon.
Also the granite table around the Bee Hive House.
Edwin Francis Fletcher married Eliza Duncomb January
1867-68
Charles Eugene Fletcher married Elizabeth Miller of
Provo October 1873
These two sons [Edwin and Charles] and Willard
Thomas were married in the Endowment House.
Kendall Asa Fletcher and Emma Asay were married
January 1867, Salt Lake, Utah. Lived in
Salt Lake and Cannonville, Garfield, Utah.
Frank Beswick Jackson married Esther Jane Fletcher 2
July 1874, Salt Lake City.
Willard Thomas Fletcher married (1) Mary Woolley 17
April 1775 [Willard’s
personal history gives the marriage date as 14 April
1875.]; lived in Salt Lake and Magrath,
Canada.
Francis E. Fletcher and Esther Bathsheba Wright were
re-baptized by Elijah F. Sheets, 1852.
Willard Thomas Fletcher was baptized by Robert
Daft. He was blessed by Patriarch John
Smith 25 November 1851.
John William Fletcher was blessed 1853 by his
father, Francis Fletcher.
Francis Fletcher was blessed by Bishop Addison
Everett 8 March 1856.
Before joining the church, Francis Fletcher was a
member of the Orthodox Church in Westford.
He was Sunday School teacher for a number of years and assisted in the
choir.
Re-typed
by Jean Fletcher 24 March 2009.
Corrections added.
No comments:
Post a Comment