Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Research Needs in the Gold Line

Jennifer Talbot--Kim Mills--Anita Rosenvall--Vernice Gold Peck--Cyrus William Gold--Cyrus Henry Gold--Joseph Gold--Thomas Gold--Samuel Gold--Thomas Gould--Johan. Gould--Joannis Gold--Jhon Golde--Samuel Golde--Anthonie Goold

I received an email a while back from my Aunt Marci Mills in regards to the Gold line in England.

Hi Jenner,
Thought you might like to read this family history exchange (Grandma Vernice's father Cyrus William Gold's line) between Mom's brother Jim and Blake who is Alan's fourth child...your mom and my first cousin.  
Hope all is well!
Love- Auntie M



Blake, 
Katherine and I are getting ready for a trip to Europe. We are going to spend two days around Stratford-upon-Avon. During that time we intend to visit some of the areas where Gold Family ancestor’s came from. In preparing the details of what we are going to do I noticed several things.
1.      Stratford on Avon listed in the birth record of Anthonie Goold may have been the way it was written at one time. Even the official records online for the current town of Stratford-upon-Avon are imprecise when it comes to the spelling. According to some sources the name dates from Roman times and meant the “Street ford of the Avon”. The Furt in Frankfurt Germany means the exact same thing. Frankfurt meant this was a place where the Franks had a ford of the Rhine River.
2.      Alcester is very close to Stratford-upon-Avon (about 7 miles) – Samuel Gold was christened in Alcester on Feb. 17th, 1587. The records indicate his father Anthonie Goold was born in Stratford on Avon about 1549. I wonder if the Shakespeare family and the Goold family knew each other? Shakespeare was christened in Stratford-upon-Avon on April 26th, 1564. Anthonie would have been about 33 years old when William married Anne Hathaway (William was 18, Anne was 26). These villages were very small then. The Hathaway Family cottage is Shottery (about 1 mile west of Stratford-upon-Avon).

Jim


Jim,

It sounds like a fun trip.  Reanna and I went there two years ago and did some limited family history work.  I have consulted an expert genealogist on the Gold line.  No in-depth work, but simply as an advisor.  That coupled with my own research; I have been able to confirm that the work that was done on our line from previous generations has some concerns.  Specifically, right around Samuel Gould and Mary Swinnerton (1760ish)  where the name went from Gould to Goode.  I believe this line could be better documented at this point.  The Good or Goode name is a separate and distinct pronunciation and a separate and distinct line.  What is accurate is that the name Gold is more accurately Gould or Goold as you have indicated.  In Old English the name's meaning remains intact i.e. it does in fact refer to the precious metal.

Anyway it sounds like you are more interested in the older history of where our family came from.  I like to do the same thing when I travel.  Last May I travelled to the Isle of Wight, where my mother's line comes from, and visited an old parish church there that was built in 1100  and where my female line comes from.  Even the old font was still there (may not be the original) where many of my female line were baptized (sprinkled).  In fact Craig went with me to that area.  

I'll be very interested in any information you find.

All the best,
Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment